Infrastructure Week is a national week of education and advocacy that brings together American businesses, workers, elected leaders, and everyday citizens around one message.
From May 15-19, leaders and citizens across the country will highlight the state of our nation’s infrastructure – clean water systems, roads, bridges, rail, ports, airports, the energy grid, and more – and encourage policymakers to invest in the projects, technologies, and policies that are essential to keeping the U.S. competitive, prosperous, and safe.
2017 is on track to be the biggest Infrastructure Week to date!
The Water Environment Federation (WEF) will join the Value of Water Campaign and more than 200 affiliate organizations, local officials, and individuals across the country to host events; conduct tours of new and innovative projects; talk about infrastructure in national, local and social media; and show policymakers at all levels of government the breadth and diversity of support for long-term, sustainable infrastructure funding and finance.
On May 15-16, WEF will host the Great Water Cities Summit 2017: Invest4Resilienceat the New York Marriott Marquis in Manhattan. As the next installment of WEF’s successful global dialogue series, this event will focus on the importance of investing in community assets – physical, financial, and human resources – as key for sustainable growth and a resilient future.
You can help spread the word about the value and importance of clean, safe water and the infrastructure that supports it!
WEF is also encouraging its members and Member Associations to participate in Infrastructure Week and has pulled together the following resources to assist with your efforts.
- Water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure is vital to our country – to public health and the environment, to the vitality of communities, to businesses, and the economy at large.
- Unlike roads, bridges, and airports, water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure is often “out of sight and out of mind,” so we must work together to raise public awareness and make sure clean, safe water is a national priority.
- The nation’s water and wastewater infrastructure is aging and in desperate need of investment – we need to invest $123 billion per year over the next 10 years.
- The return on investment in water and wastewater infrastructure is tremendous – closing the investment gap would generate $200 billion in annual economic activity and 1.3 million jobs over 10 years.
- Now is the time to increase funding for water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure – we support increases to the State Revolving Funds, innovative financing programs, and tax policies that drive investment.
Social Media, Outreach & Education
- Tag posts with #TimeToBuild and follow @InfraWeek, @WEForg, @TheValueofWater
- Download/share resources:
- 2017 Infrastructure Week Toolkit
- 2017 Infrastructure Week Social Media Shareables
- The Value of Water Campaign’s The Economic Benefits of Investing in Water Infrastructure Reportand Related Resources
- ASCE 2017 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure
- WEF/AWWA’s The United State(s) of WaterInfographics
- WEF’s Water Legacy Video
- Connect with Congress and your Representative(s)
- Sign up to be a WEF Water Advocate!
- Learn more about stormwater and green infrastructure
For more information, contact Travis Loop at firstname.lastname@example.org