Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned water utilities in the United States. We have been all about water for more than 80 years. Our team of professionals delivers reliable, quality water and great service to customers in 75 communities across California.
The Water Supply Operator II is a mid-level position and is considered to be a journey level position requiring general supervision. They may be assigned as Designated Shift Operators per California State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) definition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates and monitors, under general direction, a variety of water supply and treatment equipment such as:
- Groundwater wells
- Pumping systems
- Chemical feeders
- Measuring and control systems
- Filtration and exchange units
- Performs maintenance of plant equipment and facilities
- Conducts water level measurements and interprets data
- Loads and unloads chemicals
- Collects samples for analytical purposes
- Performs basic and intermediate laboratory analytical techniques on water samples
- Performs calculations related to dosing, flow rates, and other weights and measures
- Complies with all safety standards and practices as they pertain to equipment, facility operations and chemical handling
- May require after hour work due to 24 hour operation.
- Available for emergency response, 24 hours/day, seven days/week
- Performs other duties as assigned
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills or competencies associated with this job.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
May include working in all weather conditions, during all hours of the day. Physical demands include but are not limited to standing, climbing, walking, lifting, bending, pulling and/or pushing, grasping, reaching, stooping and crouching, sitting, typing, walking, reading, writing, color determination, speaking and listening for extended periods of time.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Familiar with PC applications such as Windows, Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Internet
- Have good communication (both written and verbal) and organizational skills.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include standing for extended periods of time, lifting heavy loads, kneeling, crawling, and climbing
- Valid California Driver’s License
Technical Skills and Experience
- Two (2) years as a Water Supply Operator I or two (2) years of water supply experience in the water utility industry.
- SWRCB Grade 2 Water Treatment Plant Operator Certificate OR applicable SWRCB certification if designated as shift operator.
- SWRCB Grade 1 Water Distribution Operator Certificate.
- Intermediate math skills.
- Knowledge of hydraulics, chemistry and biology.
Qualities of a Successful Water Supply Operator II
- Trustworthy; strong personal integrity
- Demonstrates strong level of accountability and ownership
- Collaborative/Team oriented
- Emotional Maturity
- Exhibits professionalism with internal and external customers
- Organized with strong attention to detail and time management skills
- High degree of initiative; self-starter